My Top Nine Acidity Tips When Cooking
Nearly everything tastes better with a squeeze of lemon – its my personal favourite addition to recipes. Here are my top nine tips for adding acidity to your cooking
1. Making pumpkin soup – add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice – just a little to really make the soup come alive. Works as well with oxtail soup or stew
2. A splash of balsamic vinegar is great when cooking mushrooms but do not use too much.
3. A very light splash of balsamic vinegar is also great with fresh strawberries especially in the early season when you want them to have greater flavour.
4. First thing in the morning add a squeeze of lemon to warm water for a great detox.
5. Lemon on avocado is super – yes it helps keep its colour, but also adds freshness.
6. Buy a supermarket dressing, add a squeeze of fresh lemon and it just goes up a notch with flavour.
7. Replace lemons with fresh lime for a less bold flavour.
8. Fresh lemon is just super to counteract a rich pasta sauce – crème fraiche type sauces need the contrast and can handle the acidity – just a splash makes a huge difference.
9. Finally yes! You use lemon juice in an apple pie – squeeze it over the apples to prevent discolouration but the acidity also makes the sweet dessert bolder in flavour – add a little lemon zest to your favourite fruit crumble topping and even a little zest to the apple pie filling is great!